Step 1: Observe
- Find a representative area in undisturbed snow to make your measurement. For example, avoid tree wells, or spots where skiers and snowmachiners may have compressed the snow.
- Push your probe firmly into the snowpack down to the ground. Make sure you push firmly to make sure you are measuring to the ground and not intermediate ice or dense snow layers.
- Read the snow depth on the probe from ground level to the nearest centimeter at the snow surface.
- If possible, repeat 3-4 times in a small radius (<1 m) and take the average of those measurements.
Step 2: Record
2. Touch the + button on the lower right of the screen.
3. Select “Snow Conditions.”
4. Select “Next” on the lower right of your screen.
5. Select “Snowpack Depth.”
6. Enter your measurement and select the check mark on the lower right.
7. The app will go back to the “Snow Conditions” page where you can hit Submit.